The Autumn issue of the Indiana Forest Alliance’s Forest Defender provides a succinct summary of 5 of the principal relative benefits of the proposed Mounds greenway. They are:
1. A greenway is far less expensive than a reservoir.
2. A greenway can become a reality faster than a reservoir.
3. No eminent domain (takings of private property) is necessary for a greenway.
4. A greenway protects the greatest water supply available in central Indiana.
5. A greenway will preserve a free-flowing river for 10 miles in a pristine setting and provide park land desperately needed in this part of Indiana.
Of course, there are many other benefits which would derive from an end result of no dam and reservoir. Many of those are listed in the materials available on the website of the Heart of the River Coalition: http://www.moundslakereservoir.org
For the full text of Jeff Stant’s article, visit: http://www.indianforestalliance.org